Friday, January 23, 2009

I Did It, It's Done, It's Over..For This Month Anyway

Well, I did it. It finally happened. It's done. For this month anyway.

That's right, yesterday I went to my local neuros office and had my first Tysabri infusion done. After six long weeks of waiting, some mistakes (theirs, not mine), and a snow day that cancelled school, I finally had it done yesterday!

Would you like to hear my funny little story from yesterday?

Oh, I'm sure you don't.....
I don't want to waste your time.....
It's probably not that funny anyways......

OK FINE! I'll tell you! You don't have to yell!

So, my appointment was scheduled for yesterday (Thursday) at 9:30 a.m.
I can't tell you how many times I called to confirm that this was still going on and every time I was assured that everything was fine.
My friend Angie (who I thank the stars for every night!) was set to watch the weemonkey while I went.
The night before my appointment, I was on the phone with her and she asked if I would be ok to drive. I said "I hope so. I really don't know what to expect."
So, not only did she watch the weeman, she also drove me (and bought me lunch which was awesome!). And for good measure, her hubs came along too!

I arrived at the doctors office 15 minutes early with a bag packed with reading, writing, and listening supplies as well as a blanket and wearing my comfy sweatsuit that doesn't look like a sweat suit.
I walk up to the window and tell the receptionist who I am and why I'm there.
She starts going through papers and then gets a confused look on her face and comes back to the window, slides it open and says "Umm, funny but I don't have you on the schedule...Are you certain that you have an appointment today?"

I'm pretty sure that this was the moment where my face turned bright red, smoke started coming out of my ears, and alarm bells started ringing.
If this girl told me that I didn't have an appointment today and sent me home, I was going to hurt someone.

But all was well when they called the Infusion Nurse who confirmed that she managed to squeeze me in and told her to send me back.
That receptionist girl was lucky. Very, very lucky.

So, it's done for this month but, I have to say, I am so glad that Angie did drive me because I was exhausted and still am. I really don't know what to expect so I'm just kind of riding it out in the hopes that it subsides.

In other news, I had my first interview yesterday on my other blog and since it started with a question about MS, I thought I would share the interview with you all too.
Hope you enjoy it!

Question #1:
You've got MS. How did you react to hearing that you contracted this and how do you and your family cope?

Me: Wait a minute..what? I've contracted what you say? Is that like a VD or something that kids these days made up, like cooties?
Oh, just kidding.
Yes, for those of you new or ignorant, I do have MS (Multiple Sclerosis). I'm not sure that you "contract" it so much as it just grows there, in the white matter of your brain. (I actually blame all of my old high school friends for all of the peer pressure that they put me through because I would NOT have smoked so ciggies..if it weren't for them!)
Well, first I tried to ignore it.
I had always heard that saying "Ignorance is Bliss" and thought maybe that would work out for me.
Unfortunately, that was not the case.
Then I got really angry, except for I didn't have anyone to be angry with. So, I attacked the unassuming people around me for doing things like breathing in my area. I'm not kidding here.
My poor husband saw that I was having trouble with my leg so one day he brought home a cane for me. While that was a nice jesture, at the time, it made me really mad and I think I smacked him with it. And have several times since. (That's one thing the cane is great for!)

At this moment in my life, I am not so much in the "acceptance phase" as I am the "I'm tired of feeling like crap so I've got to do something about it" phase.
With the help of my wonderful husband, I have come to the conclusion that this is not going to go away so I'm going to plan B: I'm gonna kick it's ass.

Question #2:
If you could pick one dream of yours to come true in your lifetime, what would it be and why?

Me: Since my father's passing, I've often had this dream where I'm at a party and I sit down on a couch and turn my head to realize that I've sat down beside my father. In some subconscious state, I knew that this wasn't possible, since he had died when I was 19 and pregnant with the first monkey, but in the dream it feels very real. So, we sit and have a conversation, my father was always big on theories and destinies in life, and this was the kind of conversation we had in my dream. I asked him if he knew that I had children and he said that he watched them everyday and he promised me that there was something else after this life. Then he says that he has to go back and gets up and I watch him walk down this really long hallway.
That is the dream I would love to have come true. One last conversation with my father, knowing that he sees his only grandchildren, would give me so much peace.

Question #3:
You've got many online blogger friends. If you could hold an annual blogger friend reunion, would you and who would you have host the event?

Me: I honestly never thought it could be possible to call people your "friends" when you've never met them, but I do consider them my friends.
I think it would be fun to have a "Blogger Reunion"!
When you read someone's blog regularly, you get an idea of what the person is like in real life. I think it would be interesting to find out how close I am in life.
To host it? That's a tough one...
Ok, how about this?
I want it to be somewhere warm and not always raining so we'd have it at Jean Knee's house BUT seeing as how the contents of her fridge (and freezer) can be creepy, I want Bee's mom to cook (I hear she's an amazing cook).

Question #4:
Name 3 Real Life heroes of yours and why they effect you so much.

Me: 1. Not to get all smooshy gooshy, but my husband would definately be #1. He is a truly good man, a wonderful father, and he put up with me before I had MS (and I was kooky back then!). And I know that I wouldn't be where I am if it weren't for him, especially healthwise. If not for him, I would still be sitting in a dark room with my fingers in my ears, going "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!"
2. My Grandma Emma. She was 1 of 13 children who were raised poor, with a father that could be a bit abusive, and she only went to 8th grade in school. But she went on to marry and spend the rest of his life with my Grandpa, birth and raise three children, and worked a country store with my Grandpa in rural WV.
And she could swat your butt with a flyswatter so fast that you wouldn't see it coming or going!
3.Bob Ross is definately up there too. Seriously, have you seen how happy his little trees and little squirrels are?

Question #5:
If you could come back after dying and see the impact you've made, what would you want that impact to be and why?

Me: Well, since my dreams of being a super hot, super talented, world known rock star who played guitar and wrote her own songs didn't work out (Thanks mom for not buying me that guitar and lessons when I was 10!)(no that I'm bitter about that anymore) I would come back to check on my kids to make sure they're still following everything I taught them.
Examples Would Be:
*Are they good people?
*Are they litter bugs? (cause if they are after all of my in car lectures of how wrong that is, I will haunt them!)
*Do they replace the toilet paper roll or paper towel roll when it's empty?
*Are they wearing clean undies?
*Do they talk to each other every day and have good relationships?
*Have they set up a shrine in my honor?
*Are they hard workers?
If I should happen to go to the great beyond before the hubs, I plan to check in on him too. I don't want any unsavory women in my house, looking at my things, or talking to my children.
In fact, maybe I will be stuffed and put in the corner of our bedroom and that way he will neer feel safe bringing any of these unsavories home. Something to think about.

The interview questions were sent to me by Jormengrund after I left a few tantrums in his comment section. Someone finally took the hint! Thanks Jorm!


Denver Refashionista said...

Congrats on finally getting it done. I hope it leads you down a path of greater comfort and better health.

Shaun said...

I have been on Tysabri for a year and a half now. It is working! I do have excruciating headaches for about 5 days after and fatigue lasts a day or two. Believe me when I say that it is worth it.
Hang in there and get some rest!

Dan said...

Hey, what happend to my favorite color question!
So how did it work? are you feeling better?

herrad said...

Hope you are feeling better.
Keep warm.
ps my partner/carers blog


I once saw someone at an infusion (and I am NOT being judgmental here!), dressed in heels, hose, skirt, and looking like she stepped off the cover of Vogue. Now, I'm just sayin'...the whole POINT of having MS is getting to dress comfy!! Well, that and the parking.

(Nurses were lucky I showered the day of my infusions!)

Linda D. in Seattle

AToal said...

Hi Tracy,
I couldn't find an email address for you, so I hope you don't mind me leaving a comment!

I'm with a group that is trying to inform those living with MS about a new study assessing the safety and effectiveness of an oral investigational study medication, teriflunomide.

Would you be interested in posting some information on your blog about this study for your readers?

You can contact me at and I'd be happy to provide you with more information.

Ashley Toal